Looking for mommies-to-be and newborns

by - февраля 01, 2018

In the ’90s, it was Anne Geddes’s game: photographing naked newborns artfully curled up in pea pods or nestled in hollowed-out watermelons. A pioneer of pre-Internet Cute Overload, Geddes sold an estimated 19 million books worldwide, and, clearly, planted a seed. In the nearly two decades since her calendar- and stationery-spawning coffee-table book Down in the Garden debuted, a new era of newborn photo shoots has blossomed.

For parents past, newborn photos were often limited to those offered by some hospitals, with infants tucked into standard-issue pink-and-blue-striped blankets lying in their plexiglass cribs. Children’s photography tended to mean an annual awkward department store shot. Today, if you're getting married and you want to capture that day, you hire a wedding photographer. In a similar way, if you have a baby and you want to capture the baby and really have these beautiful mementos, then you need to hire someone to do that for you. Same goes for both family photo shoot and Babybauch, as they call it in German.

Dear moms-to-be. Here I am, offering my services as an inspired photographer for your maternity photo session. As simple as that. My passion is to create a wonderful experience at your portrait session that celebrates the memories, milestones and miracles of your family life, and what isn't the real miracle as not the very beautiful in her own mother-to-be? To create incredible images that freeze those moments in time for you to treasure forever - that's the task I'm very comfortable with and convenient to accomplish these days. So, I've prepared new backdrops and props for a spring photo shoot I'm organizing at my home, as well as 4 different dresses (pictured below) for maternity photography. It most probably will be indoor only until it's cold outside, and the location is Pfaeffikon SZ. Each session will take about 2 hours, and you'll get ALL the nice digital pictures we'll manage to capture afterwards (in my experience there will be around 40 of them). Feel free to bring your husbands and children - family pictures will be included as well! The cost is yet to be determined, but I'd say it's roughly 100 to 150 CHF.


And back to babies... Little toes, pursed lips, and tiny hands - newborn photography is very special, and I am actually eager to jump in. But as a mom myself, I understand clearly that working with and posing a 5- to 10-day-old infant demands special skills, as does keeping the child safe and the new parents comfortable, while capturing the subject’s raw and natural beauty. So, here's what I know and have so far:
  • During my first Christmas photo shoots this season I learned that establishing trust with clients - families with small kids in my case - is important, so I'm pretty sure working with newborns and their parents is alike. 
  • I've already learned how to use natural lighting sources for my photography, as well as studio lights and other equipment. 
  • I've done some research and have already purchased simple wraps and materials, as well as other props for newborn photography, such as flower headbands and tutu skirts for girls, knitted crochet costume and a cap for boys, different blankets and rugs etc (on the picture below) 
  • I've learned some posing styles and constantly read about new ones, as well as study numerous transition advices to ensure that session goes smoothly. 
  • I'm well familiar with post-processing workflows since I've been taking and editing landscape and travel pics for over 3 years now (you can see those on my blog here or on my Instagram
  • Calming techniques and understanding the physical requirements of newborns is a task I still have to master, and this is the moment when practice is everything.  

  • I've learned that for studio photography the ideal age of a baby is between 5-12 days. When babies are that tiny they spend a lot of time sleeping and still curl up into very sweet poses similar to the positions they were in when they were in the womb. After two weeks babies go through a growth spurt and will start stretching their arms and legs and will not be as amenable to curling up for a picture or sleeping as soundly, which is needed for some of the poses. 
  • They say studio sessions typically last 3-4 hours which includes portraits of the baby on his or her own and then with each parent and then the whole family together. That may seem like a long time, but usually about half of that time is spent feeding and comforting the baby to get him or her as sleepy and happy as possible for the portraits. 
  • It is also recommended to bring some good things like pacifiers, a change of clothes for yourself (if you’re going to be in the photos holding a naked baby you might get pooped on), some extra diapers and wipes, extra formula or bottles if you are not breastfeeding, and any special blankets or toys that you want included in the photos.
  • The worst thing a parent can do is be nervous. I know its easy to be nervous, especially when it’s your first child, but I think the best thing a parent can do is enjoy watching their newborn in all those adorable poses.
So all I need now is a newborn baby :) Better two or more. And I'm asking here: are there any new moms willing to try this? We'll do it at my home in Pfaeffikon SZ, and I'm very flexible in time. We'll take pics of the baby itself, then with mommy, daddy, siblings and family pics of course. There will be 2 to 3 sets for family photos, and say... 8 sets for the baby. About the price... As I've never done it before I won't charge you a fortune, but I cannot either name the exact price since I'm not sure yet how it goes (pretty sure it's going to be fun but hard too). Say 100 to 150 CHF. Included are ALL the nice pictures (digital on a drive) I'll manage to capture (with my Christmas photo shoots there were around 50 photos per family). I'm also ready to print the best ones, to make birth announcement cards or a even a photo book on your request.  

Now, when I think about it, indeed, newborn shoots paint a picture of bliss and babies who actually sleep, rather than the torment of sleepless nights and spit-up. Ironically, that chaos is the precise reason why many moms invest in a newborn shoot, saying they want to capture the priceless, precious moments they may never clearly remember themselves. Now, looking back at my 3,5 year old daughter's pics I think wow, I will never see that baby again! She’s gone forever, and all I have are my pictures of her. (And herself of course, playing, running and screaming around while I'm writing this, but that's a different story to tell) 

You May Also Like

0 коммент.